Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Felicia Chin, Tomboy, Ah Lian, Getai singer, what next?



In a press conference held on Wednesday for two upcoming Channel 8 productions, Baby Bonus and Housewives Pte Ltd, we managed to squeeze in a little friendly tête-à-tête session with Felicia Chin, one of Caldecott Hill’s seven princesses.

Capturing the hearts of many with her friendly personality, Felicia entered the room resplendently dressed in a white toga dress and chic caged-gladiator heels. With her little baby boy (her son, Olympic, in Baby Bonus) in-tow, the actress confided on her initial worries about playing a single mother who is also a brash ah lian in Baby Bonus.

“For this role, I had to speak with an Ah Lian slang (sic.). I felt that I became a mother too fast and was unsure of how to act out my role initially. After reading the script, I found some logic in it and managed to accept the character’s flaws.”

Currently in the midst of filming a Singapore-Malaysia offshore collaboration, Felicia revealed a little about her upcoming role as a getai singer. “This is another grim story with a heart-wrenching background that is set in the Malaysian getai scene. It was very hectic for me. I was reading the script while having my imaging sessions. I do not play a goody-two-shoes character in this series again and I find it a very challenging role,” she enthusiastically quipped.

With Felicia coming out of her shell these days – playing a tomboy in The Ultimatum, an impetuous ah lian in Baby Bonus and a getai singer in an upcoming production, we suggested to her a couple more interesting roles that people would like to see her play in future.

She earnestly nodded at our long list of suggestions (a female cop, a female ghost, a sports drama or a baddie role) and meekly confessed, “I am a rather timid person. I think I will scare myself if I were to play a female ghost!”

Apart from that, we wanted to test Felicia’s perimeters and asked the actress if she was open to hot steamy bedroom scenes (aka the ones seen in Taiwanese dramas, Fated to Love You and My Queen).

“Actually I haven’t really watched these shows before… I personally feel that for such scenes, I have to break through that barrier in my heart first. I think I will be safe in the hands of the creative director,” the actress gamely answered.

Steamy or not, we sure can tell how much MediaCorp’s little princess has blossomed over the years. With her versatility shown in the range of characters she played this year, many are eager to see just how much more Felicia is capable of achieving.

Catch Felicia in Channel 8's Baby Bonus starting on September 30 at 9pm from Monday to Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment