Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Unexpurgated: The Felicia Chin interview

Some people get Labour Day off, but not Felicia Chin. She’s working through the weekend, which was why this interview got pushed back. But here it is, the full conversation with Felicia.


FELICIA CHIN: Hey, I’m so sorry to be so late, but I’ve just finished filming.

That’s alright.

Er, but can we do this later? I have to get something to eat first! I haven’t eaten at all. Is it okay if we do this at 9pm?

Okay.

(30 minutes later)

Hi there! Sorry about just now. I didn’t have anything to eat earlier so I was quite hungry.

That’s quite fast though! I take at least 45 minutes to finish my meals! So shall we do this?

Yes, sure.

Okay, here’s the thing: After you said your speech at the Star Awards everyone has been asking what’s really going on with you? Are you leaving? Are you not leaving?

Frankly, what I said… it’s just a feeling that I got while onstage. Getting the award was extra special, not only because I didn’t have much exposure on TV and I really didn’t expect to get the award, frankly. I had some people come up to me and say, are you still acting? I don’t blame them because audiences sometimes forget. But it’s extra meaningful to win.

So you’re not going to further your studies?

It’s true that I had been planning to study all along. And it was a mixture of emotions that made me say that. Okay, I’m doing this interview just to make this point clear because news got leaked out and I don’t want people to speculate. So I want to make it clear. I didn’t plan to say that I’m going to study, because not all replies from the universities are back yet, so things aren’t confirmed. So I didn’t want to leave it halfway. But news got leaked out so here I am.

Did you not think that people might pick up on that?

I didn’t do it on purpose to get attention if that’s what you mean. I guess onstage you have a lot of emotion and it was an emotion that I felt onstage. I didn’t expect that kind of interest. Actually this has been in the pipeline since last year, and the company has been pretty supportive. I guess it’s another way of upgrading oneself.

So can you confirm…

It’s true that I’m going to study but it’s also true that I’m not leaving the entertainment industry completely. I’m sure that if there are interesting projects coming up, things that strike me, I’d be open to them. After seven years in the industry, I have a strong passion for it. And I feel that it’s a chance for me to be in another environment. And I think change is not a bad thing.

So are you going to studying overseas or here in Singapore?

I did apply for overseas and local, but I haven’t made a decision yet, since it’s not confirmed. But I think there’s a higher chance for me to stay in Singapore because I don’t want to be away from my family. Because these past 7 years I’ve been busy and I missed out a lot, I must say. To get a bit of personal freedom or pleasure in exchange for that, I think I’d rather stay in Singapore. We do have good universities here, you know!

But if you study here, won’t it be uncomfortable because, you know, your fellow students might bug you because you are Felicia Chin, right?

I think I’ll welcome that because I’ve been away from school for so long, I’ll probably need their help! I’m think I’m okay with it. It comes with the job. I don’t think I’m that affected by it. And I don’t expect that to happen everyday. After a while, they’ll all get back to their own lives and it’ll be like, ‘Oh Felicia, she’s just another student in our school’ – just like everybody else.

So which course did apply for?

I applied for the business courses.

Business? Are you planning to set up your own?

Frankly, when I was picking the courses, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, and business somehow attracted me. It is a little interest of mine to start my own business next time. I just hope people still remember and come and support me when that day comes along! That’s also why I won’t leave the entertainment industry! Haha! No, I still like acting.

But isn’t this a bit…

It’s also a part of me where I think it’s time to try a new environment. I joined Star Search when I was 18, and I never planned to be a “princess” or you know, the next “ah jie”. I had no expectations whatsoever and no acting experience. It was just a new thing for me. And slowly I came to embrace it and like it. But it’s time for me to do something new. But I hope that people don’t misunderstand. I still like acting and I’ll still try to fit it into my studying schedule.

I’m very thankful that the seven years in the company gave me a lot of opportunity.

Credit to Today Online

No comments:

Post a Comment