Thursday, June 24, 2010

Felicia Chin: Stronger and more confident now

As she packs her bags and gets ready to leave the hill—temporarily—for her books later this year, Felicia Chin throws a mini look back at her time spent on Caldecott Hill


Before she goes from being Caldecott Hill Princess to full-time book nerd in August, we catch up with Felicia Chin at her "final" press conference for upcoming Ch 8 drama series, No Limits.

Living up to her character's sporty persona in the series, Felicia was an effervescent confection of sunshine and roses at Changi Beach Club on Tuesday. Unlike her usual glam getups of party frocks and towering heels, she was clothed in sports gear and running shoes, basking in her new sun-kissed tan -- no thanks to the countless laps and hours spent under the unforgiving sun at the swimming pool.

Flanked by her two onscreen love interests, Dai Yang Tian and Elvin Ng, Felicia made her entrance together with fellow cast members Tracy Lee, Rebecca Lim, Yuan Shuai, Pan Ling Ling, Chen Tianwen, and Wang Yuqing.

With No Limits being Felicia's swansong project on the googlebox -- before she returns to university -- this perfectionist was apprehensive about her performance and confessed that she was afraid of being a letdown.


Plagued by bouts of throbbing headache throughout the drama's production period, Felicia revealed that she had difficulty vocalizing her lines and struggled to cope with it.

Speaking with a tinge of frustration during an interview with xinmsn, she said, "I am honestly afraid of disappointing the producer and storywriter with my role. My health condition wasn't in its best state and we were on really tight schedule for this show.

"I tried my best but I know I am capable of achieving better. That's why I'm feeling a little sorry about it," said the earnest starlet who was heartened by the outpour of warmth and encouragement shown by the production team and fellow cast mates.


No longer the ingénue rookie from yesteryears, Felicia's interview was punctuated with long pauses and careful reflections. It has been seven years since she first joined MediaCorp in 2003 after winning Star Search (the very same year), and it's not hard to see how much she has grown overtime from her candid confessions and self-depreciating comments.

Amidst the makeup techniques, photography tips and acting skills picked up from her time spent in MediaCorp, the 27-year-old reckons she has learnt how to be a better person from trials and tribulations that once stood in her path. That to her, is the most important lesson she'll walk away with.


With a relatively inconspicuous rise to fame after joining in 2003, this hard-work-pays-off princess had her fair share of flak last year when speculations were rife with her plastic surgery attempts. Stepping out of the negativity and soldiering on, the actress is glad that she did not lose herself in the process.

Looking back in retrospect, she said, "I may fall but I have the courage to stand up again. The most important is that I am stronger and have more confidence in myself now. I have also made the most important friends in my life here."

Smiling, albeit a little ruefully, she poignantly continued, "Some people may like me, some other may not like me -- and I have learnt how to love myself more from this. I can accept differing opinions from people and I thank them for noticing me instead of feeling angry. It makes things easier and happier."

Call the above statement a eulogy of sorts if you must, but we're just glad Felicia has got her mojo back.

Fans of the princess can take heart that the former-VJC student and soon-to-be undergrad still has that burning passion for acting within her.

We know this has been repeated like a broken tape recorder since news of her impending departure broke out, but putting Felicia's words in perspective, "This is not goodbye," folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment